Don’t let third party shops tinker with your phone
A woman from Shanghai’s Minhang district in East China had to flee her car after her iPhone 6 suddenly burst into flames while it was lying on her dashboard.
In the video, she can be seen driving along when a small flame erupts from her phone, causing her to scream. She carries on driving the first time, but twenty seconds later it happens again. Only this time it keeps burning.
The woman then immediately stops her car in traffic and runs out of it, screaming to a passing driver that her phone exploded.
The woman’s husband said she had the battery changed at an unofficial mobile phone repair shop earlier in the year. The store accepted the phone back and replaced the exploded battery, but they refused to repair the semi-melted iPhone or pay for the damages done to the dashboard.
“She was driving alone; no one touched the phone,” her husband said. “It just suddenly blew up. She wasn’t charging or even using it at the time.
“When we bought the battery from Hoho Fast in February, they told us it was genuine. They’re refusing to take further responsibility and won’t compensate us.
“We asked them for a new phone. They say they can only give us a second-hand one. It’s like they’re squeezing us like a tube of toothpaste. They’ll squeeze us until we run out of patience and give up, then the case is closed for them.”
Some people, however, are blaming the woman for leaving the phone in the sun on her dashboard during hot weather. However, iPhones and plenty of other devices are designed to function in temperatures as high as 45 Celsius, and there is nothing to warn people about their phones exploding in such instances.
So let this be a lesson: don’t go letting anyone ‘fix’ your phone if you can avoid it.