Across the south-east of England, a series of violent burglaries have taken place and they are thought to have been committed by the same man. This man surveils Home Counties properties and by the time of the burglaries, knows the exact layout of the property and the location of the safe. Armed with a shotgun, he has taken jewellery, watches and heirlooms worth approximately £1m.
Police have said that he possesses “specialist skills” and may be ex-military.
The list of burglaries are:
- 12 November 2014 – Kingswood, Surrey
- 21 January 2015 – Maidenhead area, Berkshire
- 13 January 2016 – Chichester area, Sussex
- 22 November 2016 – Sevenoaks area, Kent
- January 2017 – Maidstone area, Kent
- 24 April 2017 – Virginia Water area, Surrey
- 26 October 2017 – Kingswood, Surrey
Detective Inspector Dee Fielding said the man commits a burglary almost every six months and is not an “opportunist”.
“This is absolutely not an amateur,” the Det Insp said. “He stakes out these houses over a number of days, sometimes for a couple of weeks. We can see that on CCTV he is hiding in gardens – he’s looking at houses to establish what the routines are of those within the premises.
“The skills that he’s using includes carrying a firearm. He uses cable-ties to tie up the occupants of the house. When he enters a house where he knows he is going to be outnumbered he still has the confidence and the ability to overpower those people.
“We believe, based on this, that he may be ex-military or certainly has specialist skills from some sort of background.”
One of his victims was Susan Morris. During his raid on her home, he aimed his gun at her, hit her head on the wall and forcibly dragged her by her hair as he demanded more jewellery. “He knew exactly how hard to hit me. He hit me three times on my face, it was very painful, I couldn’t believe the blows kept coming.” When her husband returned, he found her hiding in e bedroom still restrained by cable ties.
When asked to describe the man, “I would say he spoke well, he had no accent, he didn’t have bad grammar, he’s an intelligent man, he knows how to assess the situation and carry this out.”
The police are looking for a man who:
- Is white
- Has a muscular build
- Is approximately 6ft tall
- Speaks with a Southern English accent
- May be away from home for extended periods of time
- Has an income disproportionate to his means
- Has specialist knowledge and skills